This version in effect since 1 January, 2016.
Buyatab Online Inc. (“Buyatab”, “we” or “us”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which Buyatab, or the merchant, company, or organization of your gift card(s) (“Merchant”), will use and disclose any personal information we collect from you, or that you provide to us. Your personal information enables users like you to place orders for gift cards for delivery to yourself, other people, or entities (“Recipients”) and which may be embedded on websites, mobile apps, and social media sites of the Merchant with whom we do business, or as a user of Buyatab’s website (whether as a general visitor to the public portion of the website or as a registered user for access to other portions of the website) (collectively, the “Online Properties”). Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it. By using our Online Properties, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you when using the Online Properties or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This may include information you provide to us when you place an order; register as a user; subscribe to a service; participate in discussion boards or other social media functions; enter a competition, promotion or survey, provide comments or report a problem.The information you give us may include your name and the Recipient’s name; your address and the Recipient’s address; your e-mail address and the Recipient’s e-mail address; your phone number and the Recipient’s phone number; your payment method and payment information, including credit card information; your order transaction details; your personal message(s); or photograph(s) or images which you provide.By submitting personal information in respect of you and anyone else, you warrant that you have the full authority and are not violating any applicable law, including privacy law regarding minors, by providing it.
- Information we collect about you. Information we may automatically collect may include technical information, including IP address; device type and identity; login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators clickstream to, through and from the Online Properties (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages; page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page; and any phone number or email address used to contact our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use or visit any internet sites & services that use the Online Properties or if you transact with any merchants or other third parties with whom we do business. We may work closely with third parties (including, merchants, business partners, sub-contractors in file storage, technical, infrastructure, platform, applications, payment and fulfilment / delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies and other parties) and may receive information about you from them. We may also collect information about you as required or permitted by law.
A cookie is a very small piece of information in the form of a text file placed on your device memory by many internet sites & services that you visit. Cookies are only used to store basic information and they do not store password or credit card information.
We may use the following types of cookies to help us to provide you with a good experience when you visit internet sites & services that use the Online Properties:
- Strictly necessary cookies to help support the structure of the internet sites & services that are displayed to you when using the Online Properties. These enhance the look and feel of the Online Properties. They also help to improve navigation and allow you to return to webpages you have previously visited. This type of cookie only lasts for the duration of the time you are visiting the Online Properties. When you leave the Online Properties, they are deleted automatically.
- Performance cookies to provide aggregated statistics on visitors to the Online Properties and their browsing behaviour. This enables us to make the use of the Online Properties easier for you, and if necessary, for us to make improvements. The data is aggregated and anonymized to provide generalized, anonymized information.
- Functionality cookies to make accessing the Online Properties more convenient, so you may not need to re-enter some basic information such as your username / email address. This information allows us, over time, to personalise the content of the Online Properties to reflect your preferences. A functional cookie will remain on your device memory until you choose to clear it.
- Targeting cookies to collect information about your browsing habits and allow us to show you adverts while you are browsing our site and other sites on the internet. These cookies are used to help us understand the performance of our marketing activity and to improve the relevance of the adverts that you may see.
You can set your browser to accept or reject all specific cookies. You can also set your browser to alert you each time a cookie is presented to your device. You can delete cookies that have been stored on your device but, if you prevent us from placing cookies on your device, or if you subsequently delete a cookie, it may not be possible for you to use the Online Properties effectively.
Uses made of the information
We use information about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We or the Merchant may use this information:
- to fulfil your order;
- to provide you with information about other goods or services that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about, subject to applicable law;
- to notify you about changes to policies or terms and conditions;
- to ensure that content from the Online Properties is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- as required or permitted by law.
- Information we collect about you. We or the Merchant may use this information:
- to administer the Online Properties and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the Online Properties to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of the Online Properties, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep the Online Properties safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of the Online Properties about goods or services that may interest you or them;
- as required or permitted by law.
- Information we receive from other sources. We or the Merchant may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We or the Merchant may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We or the Merchant may share your personal information with any member of our respective groups, which means subsidiaries, holding companies and its subsidiaries.
We or the Merchant may share your information with selected third parties including:
- The Recipient to which the gift card(s) relate to fulfil your order.
- Other merchants and business partners as described in this policy.
- Suppliers and sub-contractors we engage to provide services to us (such as file storage, technical, infrastructure, platform, or applications services).
- Market research, advertisers or other parties, not to disclose information about identifiable individuals to such parties, but to provide them with aggregate anonymized information about our users.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the Online Properties.
We or the Merchant may disclose your information to third parties:
- In the event that we or the Merchant decides to sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we or the Merchant may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If substantially all of our or the Merchant’s assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held will be one of the transferred assets.
- In order to comply with legitimate governmental requests, subpoenas, court orders, or legal obligations, or in order to enforce or apply the terms and conditions of the Online Properties or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property or safety of Buyatab, the Merchant, our customers or other parties. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- As required or permitted by law.
Where we store your personal information
Buyatab is a Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada-based company and our merchants, business partners, or subcontractors may be located worldwide.
In the event that we share your personal information with our merchants, business partners or subcontractors as described in this policy, your information may be processed and stored in the country where they are located.
Personal information may be subject to disclosure under the laws of jurisdictions where the personal information is stored or handled and it may be accessible to law enforcement and national security authorities of those jurisdictions.
For information about Buyatab’s use of affiliates and service providers outside Canada to process personal information, please contact us at the address provided below.
The data controller is Buyatab Online Inc., 204 – 576 Seymour Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3K1 Canada.
Our nominated representative is our Privacy Officer who can be reached by e-mail at email@example.com
Your responsibility for privacy
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Online Properties , you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and/or any personal information in your possession. Always be careful and responsible regarding your personal information.
Security of your personal information is important to us
Buyatab takes commercially reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps we take in order to protect your information are:
- premises security;
- restricted file access to personal information;
- deploying technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access; and
- internal password and security policies.
Except where we are required by law to disclose personal information, we will use contractual arrangements to protect personal information disclosed to third parties.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to the Online Properties; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Withdrawal of consent
Individuals have the right to withdraw their consent to the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information at any time, except where that withdrawal would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation by Buyatab. Upon reasonable written notice given to Buyatab, such personal information held by Buyatab that is identifiable to that individual will be removed from our records and a notice of the impact of that removal will be provided to the individual. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you withdraw consent, Buyatab nonetheless reserves the right to retain, collect, use and disclose personal information without your consent where we are permitted by law to do so.
You may wish to opt out of receiving certain information and marketing or promotional materials from us. You may do so by using the unsubscribe mechanism provided in the message or by contacting us at the address set out below.
How long do we keep your personal information?
Personal information will be retained in accordance with this policy for as long as may be necessary or relevant for the purpose of collection, or as may be required or permitted by law.
The Online Properties may, from time to time, contain links to and from the Online Properties of other parties. If you follow a link to any of these Online Properties, please note that these parties may have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to other online properties.
Access to information
You have the right to access the personal information which we have about you and to request that personal information which you believe to be inaccurate be corrected. If you wish to access your personal information you should contact our Privacy Officer at the address set out below who will be pleased to assist you. Upon receiving a written access and/or correction request and any handling fee that may be required by Buyatab to the extent permitted by applicable law, and where the identity of the requestor can be confirmed, personal information held by Buyatab that is identifiable to the requestor, as well as information on all use and disclosures of that personal information, will be released to the requestor within 30 days, except where denial of that release is required or permitted by law, and if necessary Buyatab will correct the personal information of the requestor. If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct personal information, we will explain why.